There’s been a bit of a mouse problem of late, and it’s reached pandemic proportions. We’ve been seeing mice scurry along the kitchen floor for a while now. A few months ago we cleaned out the pantry, and made sure we got rid of all the mouse poo and nibbled packets of food. We thought we sorted that problem out. Turns out we were wrong.
Yesterday there was a terrible smell coming from the pantry, it was foul, like something had died or an onion or potato had gone off. Anyway we left it hoping that it might go away. Today Sam has been cooking wonderful lasagne and so the place smelt of beautiful pasta, the smell had gone. Or at least I thought.
I went to put something into the pantry just a few minutes ago, and the smell was there, lying dormant, hiding, waiting for me to put my nose right into it. Well curiosity got the better of me, and I started to rummage around.
First I saw a whole lot of tiny poos, then as i got further in I saw some biscuit crumbs, then I moved a box of muesli-bars aside and wham! it hit me like a tonne of bricks both visually and fragrantly. It was hideous, but hilarious at the same time.
There in the deep recesses of the pantry was this fat little mouse lying flat on it’s back, dead. I left it there and went on search for what had killed it. There off to the side was the suspect.
A packet of Arnotts Milk Coffee biscuits, with a huge hole at one end. The poor little critter had gorged itself on almost half a packet of them. Percy (that is his name) ate at least four times his body mass in Milk Coffee biscuits, and subsequently ate himself to death. Turns out too much of a good thing isn’t good for you.
Update: At the time of publishing this blog post, tragedy has struck again: Another mouse sighting and a pack of white chocolate Tim Tams eaten through. Darn you all, you rotten mice creatures.
[graphic images below: if your squeamish, or a mouse lover, or a child, or a vegetarian, or all of the above, don’t scroll down; I did warn you.]